My name is Rok Piltaver and I am a researcher at the Department of Intelligent Systems, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia (since 2008) and Ph.D. student at Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School, Slovenia.
- Gymnasium Brežice, Slovenia (1997 – 2001)
- Music and Ballet High-school Ljubljana, classical and jazz guitar (2001 – 2008)
- B.Sc. degree, Faculty of Computer and Information Science, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia (2008)
- Ph.D. study, Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School, Slovenia (since 2008)
- Visiting research student at the University of Rijeka, Department of Informatics, Institute for Computing, Division for Intelligent Systems (February – October 2014)
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning / Data Mining
- Intelligent Systems
- Ambient Intelligence
- Search Pathology
Awards, Grant and Scholarships:
- ECCAI Travel Award (2014) financial support by European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence for early stage AI researchers to attend the ECAI 2014 conference with a full paper.
- Scholarship for overseas research cooperation of doctoral students granted by Slovene Human Resources and Scholarship Fund for 9 month research visit at University of Rijeka, Department of Informatics.
- EvAAL award (2013) at Evaluating AAL Systems through Competitive Benchmarking competition for the best Activity recognition system received at Ambient Assisted Living Forum.
- TARAS Award at the 3rd IRT (2011) TARAS Award at the 3rd Industrial Forum of Innovation, R&D and Technology (IRT) for the most successful collaboration between research institution and industry for »i-Lab – Intelligent laboratory system for healthcare«.
- Best Slovenian Innovation (2009) Best Slovenian Innovation in 2009 at 4th Slovenian Forum of Innovations (organized by JAPTI) for innovation »Intelligent security system for the surveillance of buildings«.
- Zois Scholarship for gifted students (1997-2007).
- Piltaver, R., Luštrek, M., Zupančič, J., Džeroski, S., Gams, M. (2014). Multi-objective Learning of Hybrid Classifiers, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence – ECAI 2014 paper in PDF | slides in PDF
- Čuk E., Gams M., Piltaver R., Strle F., Maraspin Čarman V., Tasič J. F., “Intelligent System for Diagnosis of Erythema Migrans“, Applied Artificial Intelligence 29 (2), 134-147, 2015. paper | BibTeX
- Piltaver, R., Luštrek, M., Gams, M. (2011). The pathology of heuristic search in the 8-puzzle. Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 1–30. | paper | BibTeX | draft paper
- Piltaver, R., Dovgan, E., Gams, M. (2011). An intelligent indoor surveillance system. Informatica, 35, 383–390. Paper in PDF | BibTeX
Membership and service:
- Intelligent Systems 2014 Conference co-chair, 7-8 October, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Intelligent Systems 2013 Conference co-chair, 8-9 October, 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Member of Slovenian Artificial Intelligence Society (SLAIS)
- Inteligentni varnostni sistem in postopek za odkrivanje neobičajnega obnašanja (Intelligent Security System and Process for Detection of Unusual Behavior), Slovenia P-201100298, Issued: February 28, 2013. Paten link.
- Interaktivni vratarski sistem (Interactive Door System), Slovenia P-201300044, Filed: March 1, 2013.
- Interactive Door System, PCT International Application PCT/IB2013/055990, Filed: July 22, 2013.
- Postopek identifikacije osebe, ki vstopa v prostor (Method for Identification of Persons Entering a Room), Slovenia P-201300281, Filed: September 19, 2013.
I am an artificial intelligence researcher excited by new challenges in basic research and eager to apply my knowledge and experience in application projects.
I have a high success rate in writing research project proposals and am happy to lead projects teams towards successful and timely completion of the project resulting in patents, various awards and scientific publications. I also like to transfer my knowledge and experience to clients, project partners and students as well as to the general public. Click to see the list of projects that I participated in or the list of my publications.
My research work includes:
- research and development of data mining techniques that allow the user to trade classifier accuracy for comprehensibility or vice versa,
- development and application of planning techniques that enable robots to invent new execution plans based on examples of successful plans, and
- research of search pathology in order to save “thinking” time by preventing futile search in computer games.
I have applied my knowledge in development of:
- intelligent door system that acts as a human doorman,
- unobtrusive elderly monitoring system that recognizes falls and unexpected daily activity patterns related to a health problems,
- ambient intelligence system that identifies patients activity (e.g. walking, sitting) and estimates his/her energy consumption from accelerometer data,
- expert system that considers vast array of health related parameters in order to determine health condition degradation or rehabilitation improvement,
- intelligent surveillance system that learns usual movement patterns and recognizes unusual events (thefts, staff negligence, unauthorized access) based on real-time location system,
- smart house system that learns human behavior in order to suggests house automation schedules with optimal trade-off between comfort and energy expenditure,
- intelligent laboratory system that predicts future anomalous operation of laboratory equipment (e.g. refrigeration systems) and unusual lab environment conditions (e.g. humidity fluctuations).